Through our Neighborhood Language Lab Program, we have developed a five-phase approach to addressing the challenges of learning English for speakers of other languages. Our activities center on these five goals:
1. Build high-impact partnerships between resourced and under-resourced and underserved communities.
2. Build and equip neighborhood language labs with computer hardware and software to provide two types of educational support: on-site access to individualized English language computer-based learning platforms, and b) remote access to mentor/teachers and coaches through technologies such as broadband wireless internet, email, video streaming, digital libraries, online chat, and instant messaging.
3. Enroll students and providing scholarships as needed to guarantee financial accessibility.
4. Open and support the operation of neighborhood language labs targeting high impact outcomes in self-empowerment and language acquisition.
Project Development Detail
Build high-impact partnerships between resourced and under-resourced and underserved communities.
· Identify a location and population to serve from target communities in developing
nations and newcomer centers
· Identify an existing local nonprofit Neighborhood Partner, such as a school, church, or humanitarian aid group
· Qualify and secure Neighborhood Partner commitment and participation
· Match Neighborhood Partner with a qualified Resource Partner and obtain commitment
· Develop and approve two-year budget
· Plan lab layout
· Build lab infrastructure
· Deliver computers and network to U.S. based secure server
· Promote neighborhood and partner awareness
· Build the Resource Partner Network
· Build the Virtual Coach Network
Enroll students and provide scholarships as needed to guarantee financial accessibility.
· Build a strong neighborhood team that maintains technology, oversees instruction, tracks, monitors, reports, and recognizes student progress
· Continue to promote local awareness
· Enroll students and provide scholarships as necessary
· Start classes
Open and support the operation of high quality neighborhood language labs targeting high impact outcomes in self-empowerment and language acquisition.
· Track and monitor student and lab performance
· Evaluate student and lab performance
· Adjust individual student learning tracks and lab plans for best outcomes
· Assure quality control through lab site visits
Develop a two-year sustainability plan for each lab.
· Set sustainability goals and localize financial strategies
· Monitor and adjust budgets
· Encourage local awareness and promotion, and the development of a local partner network of supporters